If you are looking for a way to spend a quiet afternoon doing something new, think about making a visit to a Wichita art gallery. I think you will be glad you did for a lot of reasons.
An art gallery is a great place to spend time and to learn. Think about all of the new things you can discover by taking the time to see new exhibits at a local art gallery. You can learn new forms of art or see new examples of the oldest and most well known forms of art. Maybe you can visit an art gallery at a time when the artist will be there to answer questions about their work. There is no better time to feed your curious mind than by talking with an artist.
Have you been aspiring to learn a new artistic skill? If so, get yourself to an art gallery as often as you can. Be inspired by the work of those who have done the things you are hoping to do. Take notes, ask questions, see if you can sign up for a class by one of the local artists. There is no better way to become an artist yourself.
If supporting local business and economy is important to you, then visiting a Wichita art gallery should be on your list of ways to show support. Let the local artists know that you care about and appreciate the work they do. Remind them that your community would not be the same without their efforts. If you are looking to decorate a spot in your home you can even consider purchasing a piece or two of art from the local art gallery. There is no better way to support the local business than to buy from it.
Visiting an art gallery is a great way to get you, your family and your friends out of the rut of doing the same activities for recreation. Next time you have a free afternoon or evening consider passing up the movie theatre or the bookstore and choosing an art gallery instead. There are so many new things to be learned and appreciated. Expand your mind and your interests to include good art. You will never regret developing yourself and your family into people who can recognize and appreciate important elements that reflect your culture.
If you are a parent, begin instilling in your children the value of visiting a local art gallery. Help them to learn why art is important to our culture and encourage them to increase the things they care about to include more than just games and movies. Adding a little cultural experience like visiting an art gallery will be good for you and for them.
- Commerce Gallery – In the Commerce Street Arts District
- Fisch Haus – a multi-disciplinary art facility, located in Wichita’s Commerce St. Art District, currently accommodating five full-time local creatives as well as a steady stream of artists, actors and musicians, both regional and international.
- Gallery XII
- Robert W. Regier Art Gallery – Throughout the school year, the Robert W. Regier Gallery (located in the Luyken Fine Arts Center) features exhibits by local, regional, national and international artists, including Bethel alumni, in all types of media. Exhibits are normally on display for 3–4 weeks and generally include a public reception for the artist sometime within that time frame.
- Mid America Fine Arts
- Society of Decorative Painters
- Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art
- Wichita Art Museum